There are several steps required before being eligible for initial licensure:
- Complete the Initial Registration Assessment Application online on the New Applicant Portal. Your application also includes the option to apply for:
- Submit proof of legal name (i.e. birth certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable) and photo identification (i.e. passport, driver’s licence, government issued photo ID). Submit both items to us either through the mail or email. Unclear and/or faxed copies will not be accepted.
- Pay the assessment fee and the Jurisprudence Exam fee. The fees are non-refundable and can be paid in the New Applicant Portal by credit card.
- Complete the rest of your application. All application items must be official documents sent directly to CRNNS by an issuing authority which have not been in anyone else’s possession other than the authority and institution issuing it. We do not accept certified true copies.
The application package includes:
- All graduates must register in the province or territory where they completed their nursing program. Once you register there, have that regulatory body send us the form entitled: Verification of Original Nurse Registration and Examination Scores
- If you were registered in another province or territory as a nurse or as another regulated professional you must have that regulatory body send us the form entitled: Verification from every jurisdiction where you have held OR currently hold a licence registration (nursing and other regulated professions)
- If you have worked with a temporary licence in another province or territory, you must arrange for each of the employers you have had in the past 12 months to send us: Statement from Employer for Initial RN Licence
- Submit the original hard copy of your Canadian Vulnerable Sector Check/Criminal Record Check and International Criminal Record Check by mail or in person or complete the online Canadian Vulnerable Sector Check/Criminal Record Check and International Criminal Record Check. The original hard copy may be returned to you upon request.
- Complete an English language proficiency test if applicable.
Please be advised that registration requirements and fees are subject to change.