Find Us
Member Portal
New Applicant Portal
Licence Status Check
Print this page

Criminal Record Checks

To ensure the public receives safe nursing care, you may have to submit a Canadian criminal record check (CRC) A CRC provides information related to criminal offenses.

You must submit a Canadian and International* CRC if you’re seeking:

  • Initial registration
  • Licence reactivation after a two-year time lapse or
  • Temporary licence

*If you have worked as an RN outside of Canada in the last two years, you must submit an international CRC from the last state/province/country where you worked. If nursing is regulated at the state level (e.g. USA, India) or provincial level, the CRC must be completed for that state or province. If nursing is regulated at the country level (e.g. Philippines), the CRC must be issued for the entire country.

All CRCs must be provided in English. Translations from a certified translator are also accepted. You are responsible for the cost of all translations.

What qualifies as a criminal offence?

Criminal offences can include impaired driving, assault, robbery, fraud, sexual offences, and most drug-related offences. Minor offences (e.g., speeding tickets, parking tickets, noise infractions) are not usually included in a Canadian  or international CRC.

What is the difference between a criminal record check and a vulnerable sector check?

The vulnerable sector check is an enhanced criminal record check. It includes all of the information that would be reported in the criminal record check along with any information related to pardoned sexual offenses. If your employer requires you to obtain a VSC, we will accept this document instead of a CRC. For more information about vulnerable sector checks click here.

What must be included in my Canadian and international CRC?

Your  CRCs must include your current legal name.

How do I obtain and submit a Canadian and/or international CRC?

If you use a local police or RCMP detachment for these checks, you must submit the original hard copy of your Canadian  and international CRC to CRNNS by mail or in person.

You can also obtain a Canadian and international CRC through online companies such as CSI and they can  provide your results directly to us electronically.

When does my Canadian and international CRC expire?

Six months from the date it is issued.

What happens if I have a vulnerable sector or criminal record?

If you have a positive vulnerable sector or criminal record check and it is determined that a risk to the public exists or that your ability to practise may be compromised, your application will be placed on hold while we gather more information and decide on a course of action. For example, your registration and licensure may be denied or our Professional Conduct team may be consulted.

What if I am charged with a criminal offense or my name is placed on the pardoned sexual offenders list while I am an applicant or hold a licence with CRNNS?

If you  as an applicant or member  are at any time charged with, have pleaded guilty to, are convicted of or are found to be guilty of any offence in or out of Canada that is inconsistent with proper professional behavior, you must notify us immediately, unless a pardon has been issued, including a conviction under:

  • Criminal Code (Canada)
  • Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada)
  • Other legislations as prescribed in the regulations