Each year, all members must renew their licence if they wish to practise nursing in Nova Scotia. The role of CRNNS during renewal is to review, process and renew the licences of all current, qualified members using an efficient and secure process.
To support you through the renewal process this year, we have created a number of resources for you:
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.491.9744 (1.800.565.9744) ext. 221/249.
HOW TO RENEW
- Visit the Member Portal
- Log in using your registration number and password
- Complete the application process
- Pay the renewal fee. Don’t forget! Your fee is part of your application and your application will not be processed until payment is received (excluding those on payroll deduction and whose employer submits the fee directly to us).
- Log out of the Member Portal
Your complete application will be processed within five days. Please visit the Licence Status Check to confirm that your complete application has been processed and that you hold an active-practising licence. The Licence Status Check is updated immediately once your complete application has been processed. You will also receive an email confirmation and official receipt of your payment.
UNDERSTANDING AUTOMATED RENEWAL
Over the past several years, CRNNS has been committed to making changes to the renewal process to make it even more efficient and manageable for members. This year, we are excited to introduce automated renewal – a new registration process that accelerates the processing time for renewal applications.
Through automated renewal, complete applications that meet the criteria and have submitted payment may be processed in as little as one business day. For most members, the end result is peace of mind in having their licence renewed quickly and in time for the start of the licensure year.
With automated renewal, a complete application may be processed in as little as one business day if it meets the following criteria:
- The application is submitted in full and with payment. Payment processing times vary depending on the payment option chosen. Applications will not be processed until payment is received.
- The complete application is submitted between Monday and Friday. Applications will not be processed on the weekend.
- The complete application is submitted prior to October 15. Given the high volume of applications submitted in October, we cannot guarantee that complete applications submitted after October 15 will be processed within one business day.
There are however, complete applications that are considered irregular and as a result, may take up to five business days to process. An application would be considered irregular if an applicant:
- Has conditions or restrictions on their current licence;
- Does not have the required practice hours;
- Needs to provide CRNNS with verification of licensure from another professional licensing body;
- Has changed her/his name in the past year.
This list is not exhaustive. However, we recommend that members provide themselves with enough time to renew their licence – up to five business days – in case your complete application is considered irregular. This will help ensure that all members have a license to practice on November 1.
Pay Your 2018 Fee in Installments
When some members told us they wanted more flexible payment options, we listened. Beginning this fall, you will have the option to sign up and pay for your 2018 renewal fee in fixed, bi-monthly payments. The perk is that by the time you renew your licence in 2017, your fee will have already been collected! Click here to learn more.
MOST POPULAR RENEWAL QUESTIONS
To help make the most of your time, we have compiled a list of the most popular renewal questions asked by members every year. These questions, spanning from email to fees to payroll deduction, is an added resource and a time saver for those who may have the same renewal questions.